Whether you acquired your tan from a can, cream, booth or spray tan artist one thing is for certain. IT WILL FADE. Fading has less to do with the application method and much more to do with your skins natural shedding process. The top layer of skin, which is what has been affected from the DHA in your sunless solutions, sheds naturally and sometimes unevenly.
But have no fear there are a few steps you can take to get the most out of your glow. Below is some practical advice from a gal who has tried and seen it all.
- Don’t shower!! Wait as long as you can to shower after DHA has been applied. It can take up to 24hrs to fully take effect. I recommend to my clients to wait at least 12 hours before getting wet.
- In 12-24hrs after the tan, feel free to shower. Use a mild or moisturizing soap. Do not scrub your skin. This is not the time to exfoliate. Your new goal is to keep the skin you have on as long as you can while maintaining a healthy glow.
- Moisturize. I can’t emphasize this enough. Use a daily moisturizer all over you skin, you need to do this at least daily. If you can do it twice a day you are a super star.
- Use a sunless tanning cream that has moisturizers and DHA in it. If you were sprayed by a professional, ask them what they recommend. Or send me a message and I’ll be happy to recommend some products to you based on your skin type.
- Drink water. Sounds silly but it works. It’s really great for the skin.
Take this advice and you will extend the life and luster of your spray tan. The last thing you want is to fade in noticeable places and look fake. The above recommendations are suggestions to help.
Who else has some tips out there?